2017 Stadium Cars Knockout Cups – Wrap

Coastal Claim Take The Double

Coastal Spirit claimed the double when they added the Stadium Cars Reta Fitzpatrick Cup to their Mainland Women’s Premier League title, edging Cashmere Technical 1 – 0. Coastal had to work hard to get up over Technical with Tech’s defence and keeper, Hannah Hegarty blunting Coastal’s numerous attacks.

From a corner taken by Cody Taylor, Chloe Jones headed Coastal into the lead in the 16th minute. On the half hour Hegarty saved a shot from Mel Cameron with Coastal wasting several other clear chances before the break.

This pattern continued into the second half with Hegarty denying Arna Roberts after 63 minutes and minute later a great through ball set up Roberts again but her shot went begging.

Late in the game Coastal went close from a free-kick and in the final minute of normal time Britneylee Nicholson nearly caught Hegarty out with a wide shot.

In added time, Coastal had chances to wrap up the game with Technical almost leveling deep in added time when Tessa Lewis broke clear but her shot was just wide.

Technical Lift English Cup

Cashmere Technical denied Ferrymead Bays the double when they won the Stadium Cars English Cup 2 – 0. With the top two sides from the Mainland Men’s Premier League contesting the historic cup it was always going to be a keenly contested final.

Bays saw a shot cleared off the line early in the game with Danny Boys scoring the opening goal after 22 minutes, when using the wind to good effect from 25 metres out. Minutes later Danny Knight pulled off a good save to deny Bays, Sho Mathieson.

After the break Bays created several good changes with Shawn O’Brien heading over the bars from a Mark Peers freekick in the 58th minutes. From the goal kick Technical sweep forward and Daniel Toms put Lyle Matthysen in the clear with the teenager cleverly creating enough angle to crash the ball home between two defenders.

Adam Highfield was at his best minutes later to save from Matthysen and then the rebound from Arron Clapham. Bays then went close when a long-range attempt by Jacob Allen sailed over the crossbar.

The referee, Cameron Gruschow then awarded a penalty with twenty to play when altering his decision to a freekick right on the edge of the area which Highfield saved from Clapham.

In added time Bays were awarded a penalty with Ciaran Aherne blasted over the bar. Boys was the recipient of the inaugural awarding of the Steve Sumner MVP Medal.

Bays now played Caversham next Saturday in Dunedin in the final of the South Island Championship, which will bring down the curtain on the winter season.

Results Scorers

Stadium Cars Reta Fitzpatrick Cup

Coastal Spirit 1 (Chloe Jones) Cashmere Technical 0 HT 1 – 0

Stadium Cars English Cup

Cashmere Technical 2 (Danny Boys, Lyle Matthysen) Ferrymead Bays 0 HT 1 – 0

Steve Sumner MVP Medal – Danny Boys